New Acquisition: 671-675 Concord Ave
671-675 concord ave.
HRI Concord Highlands
Homeowner’s Rehab, Inc. (HRI) acquired a site to build a large-scale, new construction, 100% affordable housing development at 671-675 Concord Avenue in the Alewife-Cambridge Highlands neighborhood, a designated Area of Opportunity. This 125,000-square foot development, “HRI Concord Highlands” will provide approximately 98 units of affordable housing for extremely low (below 30% AMI), low (up to 60% AMI), moderate (60-80% AMI), and middle income (80-100% AMI) households. This would be the largest new construction, affordable housing project built in Cambridge in over 40 years, and will maximize the City and Commonwealth’s sustainable development principles.
Check out the Community Meeting PowerPoint for more details!
- The site is approximately one acre and located across Concord Avenue from Fresh Pond in the Alewife-Cambridge Highlands neighborhood, an area targeted for long-term redevelopment, including new residential uses, in the City of Cambridge’s 2005 Concord-Alewife Study, and currently through the Envision Cambridge master planning process.
- HRI will repurpose the existing site, which was previously occupied by private businesses for new housing development. The proposed development will provide crucial affordable housing units in this area of Cambridge which is rapidly transforming from an industrial/manufacturing district into a new mixed-use neighborhood.
- The site is located on the #74 and #78 MBTA bus routes, with bus stops directly in front of the site that will connect future residents to Harvard Square. It is also within walking distance of the Alewife T Station (Red Line), and thus provides valuable access to employment and education opportunities in Cambridge and beyond.
- Approximately 67% of the units will be family-sized units (two- or three-bedrooms), and approximately 21% of the total units will be three-bedroom units. The proposed unit mix is 32 one-bedroom units, 45 two-bedroom units, and 21 three-bedroom units.
- The site is directly adjacent to the 162-acre Fresh Pond Reservation park system with a variety of passive and active recreation activities available. HRI‘s current design shows on-site open space in the form of a multi-purpose community room and rooftop open space accessible to all residents. These spaces will be used to program health and wellness programs for residents.
- Sustainability is important to City and Commonwealth, and to HRI, and the proposed building will adhere to the Enterprise Green Communities program, and may also be a LEED-Gold certifiable development.
- Green features will include an energy-efficient building envelope, high-performing mechanical and ventilation systems, and other potential measures include renewable solar energy.
- The site is near, but not directly in, the 100-year flood zone of the nearby Alewife Brook. Resilient site planning and building design measures will include a defensible first floor built primarily as car and bicycle parking, raising critical building systems wherever possible, and keeping all residential units and other building resources above the 2070 flood elevation, as recommended by the 2015 City of Cambridge Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment.
- Five percent of project units will be designed for accessibility and compliance with all MAAB requirements, in addition to two percent of units designed for persons with visual and hearing impairments. Universal Design measures will be incorporated into all common areas of the building, including corridors, community room and any public outdoor space.
- Zoning approval for the project is being sought through a Comprehensive Permit (40B), with approval estimated in May 2017.
- To date HRI has met with both neighboring and citywide community groups, and held Community Meetings in September 2016, December 2016, and January 2017.
For more information about the Concord Avenue project see recent presentations from Community Meetings. If you have any questions regarding the Concord Avenue project, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.